Some Frequently Asked Questions

Am I entitled to vehicle access?

Under Section 184 of the Highways Act 1980, a person may make a request to the Council as the Highway Authority for constructing a vehicle access over a footway or verge in the highway.

Can an unauthorised vehicle crossing be closed?

Yes, the Council as the Highway Authority has the power to take action to prevent use of unauthorized crossings. They can also charge you for putting the pavement back to its former use.

How do I apply for a Dropped Kerb

You’ll need to request an application form from the Council. The Dorset Dropped Kerb Company can apply for the form and fill in the application and submit any necessary drawings on your behalf, whilst we’re happy to fill in the highways planning for free, if you require full planning, we charge a £50.00 fee which includes the ordnance survey maps required. We would recommend that the first step would be to book a home visit so our experienced site manager can offer you advice before you proceed with your application.
Please note: Application fees paid to the council are NOT refundable.

How much does it cost and how long will an access application take to process?

On receipt of the completed application form and fee, subject to no planning conditions or other restrictions, your application will take approximately 6 to 8 weeks to process.
The charge for the excavation license from Dorset Council is £280.00. In some cases you may require full planning permission, which will be an additional charge
This application charge covers:
Site Inspection?
Utility Company search for service records. The council have to write to the Public Utilities (the companies who own underground cables and pipes) about every application for a pavement vehicle access because it may affect their equipment.

Note: The council fee does not cover the construction costs.

If you are still at the stage where you are just considering a drop kerb installation and would like to have a rough ideal of the price before you ask us for an appointment we will be happy to give you an online estimate. This is for guidance purposes only and the Dorset Dropped Kerb company would need to make a site visit and take measurements in order to give you an full written quotation.

If I already have a vehicle access, can I apply for a second access?

Yes but permission will only be granted in exceptional circumstances where it can clearly be demonstrated that the provision would be beneficial to highway safety and that an appropriate separation (absolute minimum of 15m) can be achieved.

I need a driveway – Is there a minimum size requirement?

If you’re constructing a new off-road parking area this will need to be undertaken prior to the drop kerb installation. If you don’t have an existing driveway you may need to obtain planning permission .

Can I pay by debit/credit card?

Yes, The Dorset Dropped Kerb Company accepts bank transfers, paypal payments and most debit and credit cards.

If you don’t see the answer to your question or have any other questions, please get in touch with us, our site manager would be pleased to answer any queries that you may have. Tel: 01305230840 or email: